Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Random Picture Wednesday: Hanai Parenting

It seems almost fitting that I got all three of these kids in one picture...and Charlie's(?) arm (I can't honestly remember if that is his name or not...

A Hanai mom or dad (and I don't remember if it has an okina or not between the 'a' and the 'i' so forgive please if I'm wrong) parent is a someone that kinda adopts you and makes sure you're doing okay giving you parental advice or scoldings when necessary. Lessons are usually learned here and there. It's usually older person adopting younger...but Pam and I proved that it really doesn't have to be that way. We took turns, weekly, daily, sometimes HOURLY. When your nearest parental unit is no longer available or is 3,000 miles away, having a surrogate one is often handy.

Kiko, captain (and owner) of the double-hulled traditional Hawaiian canoe where the picture was taken (the guy in yellow, "driving" the boat?), was the one who introduced me to the concept when he introduced his "Hanai" son. So you all get what a Hanai son would be then, right? Right, the receiver of the parenting. (By the way, he makes his living taking charters out on the boat. IT'S WONDERFULLY FUN. I'll dig up his email if you're in or about the Big Island and are interested, let me know.)

I really and truly love the family concept of Hawai'i'. It's what I miss the most. Small children calling me auntie is a lovely feeling. Way different that my students mistakenly calling me "mo-o-o-m!" in that desperate exasperated voice than only 7th graders could have. (See, I don't have to be a mom to know that preteen/teenaged hell you all have experienced. Now say it with me, as a teacher I had 160 of these "experiences" EVERY YEAR I taught 7th grade. I didn't get to see them "grow out of it." This is one of the reasons secretary work and filing sound so very appealing right now :).)

And Andy, up front in the goofy hat? We've been taking turns taking care of one another lately. Down to having to deal when SOMEBODY had a bit of a "terrible two tantrum" about going back to work after a nap...but I don't name names, that wouldn't be right.

I'm off to explore the wonders of the Seattle Mass Transit!

3 comments:

Rick Andreoli said...

It's nice to finally put a face to Kiko's name. I've heard so much about him! Mary, does this make you my sister? (Or "sistah" as we say in the hood?)

jillian said...

I've never heard of that - what a beautiful concept!

Anonymous said...

I was not having a Tantrun! I was NOT!
=)