Monday, May 29, 2006

Droppin' Names Like it Was Goin' Outta Style

So, my friends James & Laura are finally mostly set up in their Kent apartment, so we all had dinner in celebration of their friend (& mine by association) Carter's (newly single, 31, straight, lives in Central Cal if anyone's interested :)) birthday. Laura declared there was nothing left to shock her anymore as she'd been hanging out with James and Carter since she was 17. James and I were housemates back in my Santa Cruz days (daze :)). We've all got history here, not to mention tendrils and connections stretching across several states now. Hmm, like rhizomes or something.

Of course we waxed on the nostalgic. They remembered nights I could only imagine and try to patch together like some twisted dream sequence...I was there, I was just, um, incapacitated? Or maybe I went to sleep early, yeah, that's it. Su-u-u-u-re. I was rarely the designated driver, people.

My friend Charles and his lovely bride Jenny are coming to visit at the end of June and I was lamenting about how I was gonna get them to my house when James says, "Oh Charles, yeah, we met him in San Francisco! I remember him, Toranados, lambic, beer festival or something." Cuz, yeah, that's right, they were there too!?!?

You know how you have circles of friends that "don't play well" so you never mix them? Oh honey, paleese, the world is too small and the incidents way too interesting to pass up those kind of moments. Yet I had completely spaced the Toronado Strong Ale Fest when not only my college friends (James, Laura, & I were never at UCSC at the same time), came out, but my Xs San Diego clan showed as well. I think Mark & Mary Anne maybe too...and you were there, and so were you...sorry, Dorothy slips in sometimes.

So many people from so many different "walks of life" as it were. We had computer engineers, a cabbie, an assistant editor, a Hollywood Video clerk, a bookseller, a beer brewer maybe a teacher or two, all at the same table... when worlds collide they do make quite a BANG! I must have had a lambic or seven too many :) and swished it off where those memories kinda, um, drown or something.

My train of thought is completely caflooie....I don't know where I was headed. I'll blame it on my aging brain with the tremendous gaps that keep surfacing as I hang out with old friends. Or I can blame it on Andy who just called me away from my wandering thoughts as he wants to go look at yet another house today :). Yes, let's blame Andy.

As Memorial Day is all about remembering, I heard half a report about it on NPR yesterday, I guess it makes sense that I'm swimming through all these thoughts, trying to regain some snapped connections to old synapses, or something. I gotta run.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really dislike the aging brain thing. It bugs me.

Rick Andreoli said...

Aging brain scares me as well. So does the thought of my bum sagging. I just hate getting old in general. But at least if I can use an excuse like, "I was at UCSC" (as opposed to UCLA, which would be the truth) then it seems to justify everything.