Thursday, July 06, 2006

La Traviata, and knitting

I HEART my library.

I know, I've said it before, often.

As a total aside: I really HEART one of the librarians there.

She was helping me when she stopped and gave a "known trouble-maker" the TOTAL mom-stink-eye. I could not keep a straight face. I tried, honest. But after the day I had today...(with a Spanish accent now,) Immmmposeeeebleah. I'm what my friend Jen's mom would call rum-dummy...it's how little kids act when they've skipped their naps and are trying desperately to stay awake until (or maybe even past) bedtime...Going back to work after 5 days off is HARD. I know, I know, cry me a river...where was I? Right, La Traviata...

Netflix blows big chunks when you are on the "poor" plan. You know, less than three movies at a time. They deliver them on sloths, I think, cuz snail mail? You put it in the box and by nightfall your account says it's arrived and cleared from your record. Keeping this in mind, and the fact that I'm all alone in this big empty house until Saturday when Andy flies back, I made sure to stop off at the library and see if there was anything, and I do mean ANY-THING to watch.

Shoreline Public Library is not Kings Beach. KB really was a video store with a book problem. But really, what else was there in that tiny little mountain town? Mr. Video with it's lovely owners but erratic schedule? Then there's the money issue. Who has extra money after you've bought your six-er? Well, really, I only ever saw 12-ers coming out of the store, but I'm dating myself with the previous comment.

Unless you put something on hold, Shoreline has like 10 DVDs for browsing purposes, and tons and tons of foreign films, mostly non-fiction. So among all the foreign films with titles in non-Arabic alphabets, I found a copy of th opera, "La Traviata" in Italian. DVDs are great, I could have brought home any of those non-English films and just did the "subtitles in English thing" as long as I got to the right menu of course. But I didn't want to READ my movie...there was knitting to be done!

No, I don't know a word of Italian. Well, "manga" of course, cuz like a good girl I know "food" words: spaghetti, vermicelli, lasagna, pizza...you know, the way most people know Spanish: tortilla, burrito, taco :).

But an opera is perfect. You get a subtitle every 5 or six lines of song. Why? Cuz they repeat EVERYTHING they sing like 12 times. You know, in case you missed it the first 6 times when Alfredo sings about love being the universe. Or Violeta saying loving Alfredo is her life. Opera's are great for knitting that way.

I'm still working on those socks I started the 1st of July, both at the same time...slow and steady wins the race. I have almost 3" of cuff on one, and almost 2.5" on the other. Must go do more before bedtime.

I have a couple German operas to entertain me tonight...

OH the needles...finally found what I was looking for at The Fiber Gallery, only their webpage kinda sucks...none of the pictures seem to want to load or the links to work...but they have qiviut yarn under glass...not to mention yummy Lorna's Laces and Mountain Colors Bearfoot in wonderful colors...of course I spent money I shouldn't have...but only on Lorna's. I'll save up and go back for the Bearfoot later :).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you found the needles you needed and the Lorna's Laces you needed. :)