Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Happy 4th of July

Last night, vegging on the couch, surfing the web (as Netflix FAILED to deliver...sigh...) I heard the distant explosions.

Mortars?

On Sunday, lazying around with James and Laura, they mentioned that big evil firework "bombs" are being sold down South in Kent (where I bought my first ever ball of Trekking XXL...so soft, can't wait...gotta get me some US 0s now ;).) apparently bombs aren't illegal there...well, fireworks that sound like 'em anyway. I've been too conditioned...

I've spent so long in places where fireworks weren't allowed, illegal, or just too expensive to buy, that I'm both bemused and kinda weirded out that tonight there will be some rockets red glare maybe right next door.

I get the celebration by fireworks, I think. I mean, they're pretty colors to commemorate a victory. One radio station (at least) has been spouting about having the "soundtrack" for it ("so tune in when he show at the city center starts...") But the whistlers and explosions? Is that to remind us of war? It's rather hard to "forget" when we have this little thing going on in Iraq...but I guess every little bit helps.

See in Mexico? The mortars are shot during Christmas celebrations. EVERY MORNING AT THE CRACK BEFORE DAWN you feel the house shaking as the bombs go off...to get people up and into church to celebrate the novena. Then, after xmas, for the new year? They shoot them off during the "Toro" run. For three nights a fellow volunteers to carry this FLAMING fireworks display on his back and run through the plaza with, yes, the fireworks going off. This culminates in the "castillo." On new year's night a ginormous fireworks castle is set ablaze. I don't know what it's supposed to be for, really, but my take on it is that it's to clean and scare away all the evil spirits. Or something. Cuz they "clean" the plaza for the town's b-day as well...Hmm, maybe we're cleaning out the old spirits too? It is the end of the fiscal year and all. I'm reaching here, can you tell?

Well, James and Laura don't feel like making the long haul up to Seattle proper tonight as James has to be at work far too early tomorrow, and Andy's in Clear Lake with his family, so it's just Tim, his GF, a couple friends from the Everett area, and me gathering at Tim's place. He's got the best view of the needle, you see.

Speaking of needles...why's it so hard to come by them? Down in Kent I was really hoping to find another set of bamboo double-points in US 1. Alas, all they had were rosewood DPNs for what turns out to be, um, $4 EACH. No, not sold separately, in a pack. This is probably why I've not mentioned the store's name...they were a bit over-priced on certain items. Happily, some of the yarn was comparable. Up at the "Yarn and Tea Shop" where I usually go, they seem to be on hold for needles in the US 1 size. Frustrating. Tim lives near TWO different yarn stores, but after 4 months here, I STILL have yet to be in the area when the stores are actually OPEN. Of course, today? CLOSED.

Okay, be careful out there.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I had never heard of fireworks for New Years until I moved to the south. Hey, do you want me to track down some needles here and send them to you?