Sunday, August 13, 2006

Mom's Reaction...

I forgot to post my mom's post-birthday reaction didn't I? That's the problem with not having "removable drives" in our heads...Were there a straight link between my brain and a hard drive to record all of my brilliant plans and schemes...well they'd have probably locked me up somewhere long ago...Somewhere deep and dark...Somewhere the door locks have a tendency to get their keys lost...

Right. Where was I? Oh yeah, so I'm talking to my mom the other day and she was telling me about the wedding she went to. One of my cousin's kids got married. I won't bother with the "they grow up so fast" comment. It's not a cousin I usually dance and sing about or anything. Aside from my general lack of having anything nice to say about the man, if memory serves correct, his last child's wedding was held at gunpoint, and she all of 15 (it really is amazing what you can get away with in small towns in Mexico). So it wouldn't surprise me if this one was similar. My mom did mention that it took about THREE hours for it to take place. And the groom? Yep, the very last person to arrive. Ummm Hmmm.

Well, so in the middle of the drama of the retelling, cuz we all love our "chisme (gossip)" at Casa de Tactless, she stops and says, "OH MIJA! And I'm wearing your socks today! They are SO comfortable! You need to make yourself some!" I was so pleased by the statement that I did NOT bust out with, "Well, those WERE gonna be MINE..." Instead I tucked it all away for later. I have the blue cotton yarn that WAS planned to be HERS...so I'll go through with the plan anyway. I mean, she was so happy! That made ME really happy. She has not bragged about her Mom's Day socks in the same way cuz, well, it just hasn't gotten cold enough in LA to warrant their wearing yet! Or so she says.

This of course means I will continue with the self-imposed rule I fell into a few months back...no spontaneous gift knitting. I've read and experienced the sadder parts of that world. I happily made my mom the socks cuz she asked for them. That is my rule of thumb. Others go so far as to only gift other knitters. Well, I won't go so far. I like making things for others when they really want something but can't make it themselves. My mom really wanted socks, who knows why...but even following "knitters only" rule, I can still knit for my mom. She used to knit like all get-out when she was my age. Maybe that's why the first socks are "nice" and "thank you" and a "I haven't really tried them on yet" etc., cuz, well, they're simple stockingette. She had a thing for bobbles...It was the 60's and 70's though, so I think she can be forgiven :).

Whatever. It's best not to dwell too long on all the negative. Instead I'm wondering if anyone has learned the charm for cleaning a room with the flick of the wrist??? I figure I can use my Brittany Straights for the wand, they are so pretty at the ends...sigh... I KNOW I have batteries in here somewhere...I have a Pinstripe Sock In Progress Bootie to showcase...but the batteries are dead/charging. Tomorrow I guess, cuz bedtime calls...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's so great that your mom loved her socks so much!

I've been thinking about the gift knitting thing recently. Your policy of only knitting for people who ask is a good one. That should free up some knitting time for me. :)