Friday, August 11, 2006

Memes Glorious Memes....

Top 5 on Friday:
Top 5 songs that you liked as a child that you still like now:
Found my way there, here. Of course the only problem is that I have Don Henley stuck in my head... Not to mention we must be around the same age cuz I was nodding and laughing at her selection...but they're not all on my iPod, but these are: Here we go...stepping in the Way Back Machine all back to Video 1 with RICHARD BLADE!!!

Sweet Dreams are Made of This - The Eurythmics: It was the cow in the field...or maybe the bass? In the field? I don't know how sweet these dreams were, but the video warped my reality. Oh to be young and impressionable. But I still LOVE LOVE LOVE the very first BAM of the drum machine..."WAKE UP! Time to die!"---oh wait, that was Blade Runner...not Richard Blade :)

Take on Me - A-Ha: This really was a Video-1 ingrained favorite. Whenever I hear the song...oh, once a week, I can't get over the whole comic-book-turned-to-life dealie with the video. I remember crying the first time I saw him slamming into walls, trying to get out...sorry, I was only 10 after all. Did you know they're all still together? Umm hmm, I mean, A-ha! Yes, they still wear the leather pants...

Don't You (Forget About Me) - Simply Red: From that life-altering (I was 11, I loved that library), supercalafragilistic "The Breakfast Club." I saw the video hundreds of times before I was actually allowed to watch the movie...sad, eh? But that was okay, as most of the movie was clipped into the video screens IN the video. Hmmm, a video about video?

Major Tom (Coming Home) - Peter Schilling: So before music videos? But after the stereostrope, there was my older brother and I, kicked outside by the babysitter to let off some energy while she watched her soaps... OF COURSE WE WERE LOUD. What better way to be loud than to sing and dance to songs we didn't know the words to! But this one? "4, 3, 2, 1 Earth be-lo-o-o-ow us, drifting falling...la la la-a-a-a-, la la la la la-a-a-a-aaaa-a-a-a" or whatever...I remember we even had hand motions...like one arm straight up and the other at 3 o'clock--or 4 actually, and then 3, then 2...you get it, right? Maybe you had to be there.

Me and Julio Down by the School Yard - Paul Simon: This would be the very first "45" that my older brother and I will BOTH claim to have owned and been ours, ours, ours. If possession is 9/10s of the law, then my little brother is the winner, as he's got all my stuff from my childhood. I don't know how it ended up in our collection among the Pac-Man Christmas Albums and the like, but it did. It's still pretty high up on the playlist, mama pajama...


Strolling through memory lane is freaky. How could the 80s have happened so very long ago now?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Take on Me is one of the best songs/videos of all time! hehe