Saturday, August 26, 2006

I Miss Weekends

Remember when...
We didn't own alarm clocks, but we didn't seem to need them, we woke up super early and REFRESHED! I know we got up much too early. Way before my parents. We had Things To Do! I.e., catch up on some TV watching mostly. It begs the question:

What came first, Saturday Morning Cartoons or kids waking up too early?
I mean, who did anything before the Smurfs?

I'm talking here CITY kids. Cuz I know on the ranch there was no way for a kid to get up too early. Earlier the better! Been there done that too. It does have it's place I'm sure...but you don't hear me crying about missing those days.

After a good four hours of 'toonage you were dragged off (or at least we were) to the grocery store and/or errand running and somehow made it back in time for some Gilligan's Island and the afternoon Family Film Festival. I remember the day I figured out the guy in front of the film projector, Tom Hattan, was the same fellow who hosted the Popeye cartoons, only he wore a sailor's cap and t-shirt instead of the flannel shirts! He lived in the TV ALL DAY! What a lucky guy!

Life was so simple then.

Now it's filled with cleaning the house and laundry and filling out yet another job application...

Like I said before, I miss my weekends.

It's almost the end of the month...we're days away from the end of Project Spectrum and the second bootie is just taking its sweet time...I'm STILL on the heal flap. I haven't been able to keep up with the knitting in the last couple days cuz well, I was traumatized on Thursday hard enough to just sit out on a picnic table and stare at the grass growing rather than do ANYTHING. Then when I DID decide to knit a spell, HA I found out it's freakin' hard to knit when you've got a cut on the finger you had NO IDEA you used so often to control your yarn. NO. IDEA. URGH! Grumpiness ensues.

So I'm gonna go dust or something now. This room looks like, well, like someone started cleaning it last week and gave up. Hmmm, who could that have been???

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, we used to get up and watch cartoons on Saturday morning. And we were really excited if The Wonderful World of Disney on Sunday night was a cartoon, too. My husband and I keep telling our daughter that you used to have to wait to watch things because there were no tapes or DVDs. Remember how exciting it was when it was finally time for The Wizard of Oz to come on again?

Cleaning. Blah!

Kristy said...

I miss those Saturday mornings, too. I know it sounds cliche but things were simpler then. They really were. We would get up early and watch cartoons and then we had to do our chores and afterward, we would spend all day outside playing with friends or just playing in the dirt. I miss that, too.

Thanks for a lovely post. (P.S. did you get my email of the picture of that crocheted duckie?)