Monday, January 16, 2006

Winter Wonderland, Take, um, 7?

Dare I mention it is snowing? On a day which, up until late last night after I'd gone to bed, obviously, "partly cloudy" had been predicted, high of maybe 40? HA we're looking at "Snow Showers" and 16 degrees my friends.

No pics, cuz, 'member, I'm not allowed the jinx the "pow pow" this brings unto Tahoe for my snowboarding housemates, but there is snow. Lots of it. I dug a pathway to the end of the driveway and around the 'rolla yesterday and must have moved a ton of snow. Well, figuratively speaking, of course. Were I to show you a picture of what it looks like this morning, you'd all say, "What path? I see no path, I see no cleared off end of the driveway. You get on out there and do it for real this time." That's snow for ya'.

I do have some pictures though. I think everyone does this eventually. I don't know why I didn't do it back in March...in Andy's cabin, he had some whoppers...oh yeah, I remember, I was recovering from a little bout of insanity. That's right, how could I forget? Anyhow, here are pics of the icicles forming outside of Andy's "office" (cubbyhole) window:

I tried my hardest to NOT get the telephone pole in the shot, but that sneaky thing got in the action anyway. Here's a corner shot of the "fat" icicle that will kill someone if it comes crashing down in one piece:
Nice huh? Safety first in everything...can the ends look any sharper? Whoever designed this place really shoulda' thought about the fact that ice and snow are regular visitors.

So that knitting thing:
-- No pictures of the scarf, looks the same, honest. Well, it's officially: (after de-scrunching, mind) 30.5". Maybe by next winter it'll reach the 70" I'm told a scarf should be...read as NOT EVEN HALF-WAY THERE.
-- Sock the first...it's been usurped! Funny, I had the camera out and everything but taking a picture of the cuff just didn't happen...subconscious stuff going on? Quien sabe. But working with sock yarn on itty bitty needles did something to me... so I pulled out what was supposed to be my first pair of socks pattern that I got from Debbie Bliss' Baby Knits for Beginners months and months ago...and knit my fastest creation yet:
Yes, my very first sock! I hope it looks nicer after blocking (cuz no, haven't yet). It's a 2 needle deal and I was almost done seaming the little monster (made from Debbie Bliss wool/cotton colour: 125504/grey) when I thought, "If I had to deal with such a HUGE seam down the middle of the back of my foot, I'd be one crying adult..." so I took it apart sometime around midnight and left the delicate, small as possible seaming job for this morning as I did my bimonthly "mom I'm still alive" telephone call. It's amazing how much seaming/sewing/knitting you can get done while on the telephone. Second only to listening to books on CD (as I don't have a tape player here.)

So now I have to decide if I'm going to make the second one. I'd rather figure out how to make these little booties on DPNs (did I just say that?). I don't want anyone to deal with the seam problem. But as they're baby sock/booties, maybe they're not meant to be actually STEPPED on, as it were. I'll have to think about it. I know it's almost less than useless to ask as people rarely comment on here, but has anyone else had the experience/knowledge with this pattern and little ones' feet? Do they care? I suppose I'll make #2 just to say I've done a pair of socks. Period.

Happy MLK day everyone.

No comments: