Thursday, January 17, 2008

Title? We Don't Need No Stinkin' Title...

Norma mentioned the trials and tribulations of "pre-blogging"--that is, writing something up to post maybe later in the day, if not later in the week.

How quickly our weeks can veer off course and that post you had planned on say, the memories that bombard you when you taste something, turns into: "How I Kept from Killing Anyone Last Night," and even that turned just as quickly into: "A million Cats in my Nose this Morning."

I don't know if I can write it all down anymore...Not without mushing it all together...especially after my brain started oozing out of my ears about an hour ago...

Oh, let's begin with that one, shall we?

I am allergic to very little, or rather, I used to be. My older brother was/is the one with the uber lung problems. I'm not saying I ever did, or anything, but as a kid, I probably could have snorted the layer of dust on my dresser and still skipped rope and run a mile without missing a beat. Yes, that's right, I grew up in LA too. It is amazing what your body can get used to.

Then I moved to Santa Cruz, CA and the fresh air just about killed me. What doesn't kill us though, takes us to the brink of death and makes us weak as kittens...(Ah thank you Simpson's quotes I misremember...) Just as I thought I could possibly continue my college education without falling over dead from such things as non-polluted air, SPRING hit me full in the face. Lord almighty, you have created a number of things I am in awe of...but pollen? I have to say I'm not a fan of that at all, not one microscopic bit. In fact I might hate you a little bit for that gift upon humanity, just what were you thinking?

I went from hardy kid to seasonally miserable faster than you can say Jack Robinson, or maybe just A-CHOOO. My allergies bloomed (HA!) and became the gift that kept on giving. I was suddenly really bothered by burning ashy things, diesel fumes, VOG (volcanic fog, highly sulfuric), and my old comrade DUST! The travesty!

With such a long preface, I'm afraid I might let you all down with regards to the million cats in my nose...I'm actually only *nasally allergic to a handful of cats...those with the flying dander, but it's the closest analogy without bringing up the VOG and the pollen and the stuff that makes your eyes feel all scrapey and scratchy...yeah, fun times, people...

See, today? (or whenever it was planned) Someone had the BRIGHT idea of having all of the heating/ac filters changed during business hours--without telling anyone...like, say, ME! So we could have come in all happily Sudafeded up, or maybe brought in some of that cool saline nose stuff to keep the dust from hibernating in my nose...

It is so nasty in here right now...four floors of floating flotsam. I mean, you know when you change the filter at home how, as careful as you are, there is always spillage? Well, I checked out the guy doing the job...and let's just say I'd love to see what his house looks like after he changes those filters... I've been sneezing all day...my head hurts.

You know what I feel like? I feel like that pathetic-looking fellow from those NyQuil commercials of old before they hand him the happy bottle of love...It actually hurts to close my eyes...

*Then there are the ones whose saliva make me break out in hives. Or how about the ones whose oil give me that nasty rash stuff. Or the ones whose hair make my eye-balls bleed...

3 comments:

Rick Andreoli said...

Oooh, Nyquil. Yummmm.... Oh wait, that's not what you were talking about. Sorry.

Anonymous said...

It seems awfully unsafe for them to be doing that while people are in the building. I hope your sinuses improve soon.

Bezzie said...

OH gah....they just changed the filters in my office too. I didn't notice that much dust everywhere though. They must have been careful.

I'm now imagining Pig-Pen type cats with a cloud of dander instead of dirt making you sneeze.