Wednesday, September 05, 2007

Scheduling Breaks

I get it now...maybe...that whole "recess" and "lunchtime" and if you were unlucky enough to have a school day extend through 3 p.m., an "afternoon break."
 
Those bells and super scheduled days are exactly what I need to keep myself from working through such magically restful things as breaks.
 
Is that why my mom loved working at a school?  They took their daily break at 11:10 a.m.  That was the time 3rd period began....I think...but no matter what part of the school they were in, they could hear the bells.  Maybe that's why I was so enamored of the striking ship's clock?  You could figure out what time it was then as well and whether or not your watch-shift had begun or was about to end.  And my long-ago lost Casio digital watch with all the different timers, alarms, and stopwatches (possibly 2 or 3 of each).  I knew exactly how late I'd be to classes and how long I had until my work day was over...I'm not at all motivated to schedule in breaks via Outlook or any thing so goofy, get...but I may be getting there.
 
I have a number of posts I meant to put up a while ago...there's a hat to show off, an award I've been given, I just found out I won a contest!  But neither the time nor the motivation has been with me since my last entry/rant.  If I were not on a break right now, I'd add that I need to get back to those folks, but that would be talking about work, and we're on a break right now.  Did I mention break?
 
I am two people this week.  Maybe more like 1.75.  Next week, I'll be 2.5.  I will need to highly schedule myself so I don't go insane with work, cuz yesterday?  I put in 10 hours, and it still wasn't quite enough.  Yup, those bells seem like such a good idea right now.

2 comments:

Bezzie said...

Ooo...weird. 3rd period was the last class of the day for us in HS.

Yeah I'm kind of bell-phobic. I chalk it up to getting to tour the church belltower back when I was in Sunday school and finding out they were fake bells. Taped to go off every quarter hour!

C'mon! You know you want to schedule some breaks in outlook! It's possible I've been known to do that ;-)

Anonymous said...

I distinctly remember recess at my private school. Monkey bars and slides and what's that game called where you punch a ball and whoever gets the most wraps around a pole wins? That game. All this was of course, before I was worried about sweat, much to the chagrin of my teachers I'm sure.

I agree with bezzie - you gotta schedule your breaks in Outlook. I used GroupWise at my old "corporate" job and I alerted myself to go to the bathroom (not kidding), take 15 minutes breaks, and go to lunch; all of which would never have happened otherwise.

Fake bells suck.

Oh and congrats on winning a contest!! That's fun!