Tuesday, July 22, 2008

It's The View, Right?

Two dogs (one crazy, one really old), 2 kids (one age 3, one age 3 months(!)), 2 tired parents, 2 single people totally unprepared for the chaos that is CAMPING WITH KIDS.

We got the absolute last campsite available in all of Oregon (or so it seemed) in the most open and non-shaded spot possible. But at least we got something. Our view.

You know how nature tends to make you like breathe deeper and give you all this energy and stuff? Yeah, me neither, but apparently the kids were super-charged and stayed up way past my bedtime. I seriously went to bed BEFORE the three-year-old.

But not to sounds of nature or screaming babies (there there were some--screaming babies, but not ours); instead I fell asleep to the dulcet tones of Michael Jackson. As Nancy commented, "Who goes camping to blast their stereo?" It could have been super annoying, but as it was the Thriller album, or something similar, it was just vaguely nostalgic and mildly disturbing.

Would I do it again?

Yep. As stressful as these things can get, I thought it was on the mild side. All plans were out of my hands and not quite knowing what we were supposed to be doing ended up being fine (I am a super control-freak at times and at first I thought all this "not knowing the plan" would drive me bananas...guess not. I kept playing the Beastie Boyz in my head to keep me settled, you know, "Let it flow, let yourself go, slow and low, that is the temp-o?" Yeah, that one. (Did I get that in your head? Sorry. I'd link to it so you can get it out of your system, but I have no sound to make sure I've given you the right song.) It's like the advice I keep giving all these people planning weddings recently? Don't stress, the guests will never know "what could have been." Yeah, I need to take that attitude more often myself.
We were car-camping. And with the 3-month old as an attendee, I knew I wouldn't exactly have to pack my hiking boots. In fact, I wore my birks the entire time. Once the temps went down, hello happy yellow socks I haven't worn since winter!

YEP, my hip and butt HURT. I is an old woman and as tufty as the ground was, there was still not enough give for my awesome child-bearing hips, you know? I am very thankful for the inventor of the modern-day mattress.

2 comments:

Bezzie said...

Ooo--you got Jesus light thru the trees! Hee hee!

Anonymous said...

You're brave! I gave up tent camping a long time ago. Now we rent cabins. Does that even count as camping? :)

I'm sorry I got so behind in my blog reading. I caught up on your blog today. I enjoyed reading about what you've been up to.