Sunday, October 28, 2007

Dressing Room PSA

Yesterday: (And I apologize if it gives anyone the heebie-creepies...)

When you go to say, Victoria's Secret to try on, say, a bra? Take note of two things:

1) Is this a VS where the color scheme is gloss black and matte white? If so, are the dressing room frames painted in glossy black? If so, can you see the person who is trying on undergarments via aforementioned glossy blackness (ETA:) that perfectly reflects the person in the fitting room when you are standing in the doorway to the room waiting your turn? As I found out yesterday, that same glossy fabulousness is the way the VS helpers check to see if the room is occupied or not, especially when the line is rather long for trying things on.

That wasn't actually the creepy bit, cuz, yeah, hello, we're all women here, we all have boobs, whatever. However:

2) Is there a guy "waiting for his friend" sitting in the dressing room area in that chair usually reserved for bored teen-aged daughters/elderly shop-mates/bored husbands keeping control of toddlers, etc. who is maybe stealing glances up at the glossy black door frames? No, I don't think he was checking to see if the room was empty either.

I got directed to a dressing room far over in a corner and was just thinking if I should mention something to the VS worker when she scurried away to deal with one of the too many people shopping that day. I'd put down my bag and taken off my sweater, looking warily up at the frame and thinking about the guy when I heard the commotion:

Older sounding female voice: "WHAT DO YOU THINK YOU'RE DOING!"
Male voice: "Um, waiting for my friend."
OSFV: "WHO IS THIS GUY'S FRIEND?!?"
-crickets-
OSFV: "WHERE Are you goi-..." fades to lots of female voices.

I'm not a regular VS shopper when it comes to buying bras. I've been a die-hard $9.00-on-sale-at-Sears kinda girl since that padding and push-ups stuff became king (queen?). I don't really need any more help at making my girls look bigger. But every once in a while I like to see what the fashion is. And somewhere deep in my tom-boy nature a real girl lives and it's nice to have nice underthings, at least one, you know, for special occasions. Besides, I'd gotten an email saying they'd once again, finally, came out with a full-coverage bra. Lemme just say that diction is a beautiful thing in advertising. Just because the new cup covers more than their current styles do, does not make it "full" coverage in my antiquated sense of the word.

Anyway, I just thought I'd share about the creepy VS fitting room door frames, and what trouble they can cause.

2 comments:

Bezzie said...

Wow. Thank god I'm a Walmart-$7-non-padded-dry-them-in-the-dryer-and-wear-them-for-10-years-before-I-buy-a-replacement-bra type of girl ;-)

more cowbell said...

That is just creepy. He deserved an umbrella over the head.