Thursday, May 18, 2006

Just When You Think You Might Start Makin' Some Cash...

...they cancel your temp. assignment. Rug. Me. Pulled out. BOOM. :(

Oh well, I didn't need to start making money next week. I need more practice getting lost on the metro system anyway. Who needs to, oh I dunno, make rent, pay bills, buy groceries, etc. without dipping into her savings...

3rd time's the charm?

I am keeping positive about the whole thing. Andy reminded me today I could always substitute teach...only, dear Andy, school's over for the summer. Remember summer? Everyone's favorite time of the year? I'm also not so desperate as to voluntarily sub for a summer session. Hello? Didn't I just comment somewhere on someone else's blog maybe? SUN + SCHOOLWORK = Get off my back (expletive of choice)! Give me a torrential rainstorm + school = what else is there to do? May as well half listen to the loony up front anyway....

Okay, little jaded on the teaching thing? Yeah. Little bitter my assignment got cancelled? OH YEAH.

Let's talk about something else instead.

GREEN. Right. Project Spectrum. Okay, so I started on a green sock using some yummy (no I DID NOT TASTE IT) Fleece Artist Merino Sock wool and I loved the fact that it MATCHED the interior color scheme of the house Tim put a bid on! (Tangent alert: Tim and Andy have caught that mid-thirties House-Buying-Bug. Apparently it's going around, protect yourselves. We drove ALL OVER CREATION Seattle while the boys looked at land and houses and shacks...I even have a story to share about a little town...later, so I had PLENTY of knitting time, what with NOT BEING EMPLOYED, of course I tagged along :). ) I'd chosen the "Dublin Sock" pattern from Mossy Cottage Knits (pattern on her sidebar) cuz you know, green sock, dublin? Yeah, okay, so she didn't mean Ireland, but poetic license, you know? Suffice to say it was my first stab at a lace-like pattern (notice, PAST tense). Besides, before I had to cancel it, I was gonna BE in Ireland this part of the month and everything....moving on.

What's that I hear? Surely not the Coqui frog here in Seattle? No, just the sound my sock made as I ripped it down to the ribbing...lacework, even simple yo's, + driving around + tactless hanging her head out the window at times and smelling LOTS of fertilizer and chicken butt, just don't mix. So I looked at the calendar and realized I'd finish those socks sometime in August of 2008 at the rate I was going. Deadlines...urgh. SO, I'm multi-spectruming now. Feelin' a little low I trekked out to Village Yarn & Tea Shop and picked up some more sock yarn. One in, yup, MULTIPLE spectrum colors.

So yesterday as I not only got sunburned (in Seattle you say? Yah sure, you betcha, BURNED) waiting for the bus, I cast on more Fleece Artist in greens/blues/other colors, and ribbed it some. Now...ahem...I need to find a stitch pattern for the leg. I'm leaning toward a rib of some sort...or maybe a moss stitch...something I can memorize and just zip through (well, as fast as a snail can zip) so I can at least have A SOCK to show off in, ha ha ha ha, 13 days :). Wasn't there some green cloth I was going to sew up or something...yeah, keeping positive here :).

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about your job. Like you said, 3rd time's a charm. This next one will be it!

And sorry to hear about your socks. I know that feeling! (My socks are still in time out!) You could sew a green pillow for a future house warming present for your friends. :) If it makes you feel better, my green projects aren't done yet, either.

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear you're keeping positive. Keep on knitting!! Yeah, I was put through the ringer with the temp agencies, too. It was like an emotional rollercoaster. You have a job! No you don't! You have a job! No, wait, we're going to find you something else! Uggh. I almost cried one time when they called and told me that. It'll come together, and who knows, the next assignment might be a better, happier fit. For me, things started coming together when I started temping... I was in a better mood, meeting people, able to make rent, and it passed the time until I got a job.

And you're so right that sun + schoolwork is a lousy combination. I'm glad someone else acknowledges and understands that, while I try not to beat myself up about completely flunking out of my class.

Rock on with the knitting! You can make all of your Christmas presents now while you have time :)

craftymodster said...

Well gosh darn. I am so sorry to hear about the job woes. Hang in there, will ya. It's bound to happen (& I mean in a positive way). Job vibes...your way.

Socks. Gawd. I am like...I finish one, cannot do the other. I have not knitted in 6 weeks, so there must be something wrong with me. I can relate. I say take that yarn you got from Village (love that place...it's close to me, btw!) and incorporate the "blue" portion for next month's JUNE project, but start now.

It'll ALL work out. Everything!
anjo